Navigating the complexities of modern system and enterprise architecture in an agile environment can be daunting. Architects often grapple with aligning architectural designs with business objectives, leading to inefficiencies and project delays.
The SAFe® for Architects course offers a transformative solution. Over three immersive days, this certification program equips architects with the skills to align architecture with business value seamlessly. It delves into the nuances of system, solution, and enterprise architecture within the SAFe® framework. Participants engage in practical exercises to understand how to collaboratively deliver architectural solutions that resonate with organizational goals. The course emphasizes effective communication of architectural visions, development of solution roadmaps, and strategies for continuous, efficient software delivery.
As a participant, you'll emerge with a profound understanding of your role in a SAFe® environment. You'll gain the tools and insights necessary to lead architectural projects successfully, ensuring they contribute directly to business success. This course empowers you to effectively communicate your architectural vision, foster collaboration among teams, and navigate the challenges of remote and distributed work environments. The result is a significant enhancement in your ability to drive business value through strategic architectural decisions.
Certification & Exam
- Exam name – ARCH (6.0) - SAFe® for Architects
- Exam format – Multiple choice (one answer) or multiple select (2-3 answers)
- Exam delivery – Web-based, closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 45
- Passing score – 32 out of 45 (71% passing score)
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
About SAFe for Architects
SAFe® for Architects ARCH certification is a pivotal resource for current or aspiring System and Enterprise Architects.
This three-day course equips architects with crucial skills to align architecture with business value, ensuring solutions meet organizational needs.
Participants will learn how to develop architectural visions, roadmaps, and continuous software delivery methods. It's a blend of theory and practice, covering responsibilities in remote and distributed team environments.
The course answers critical questions about Program Increment (PI) planning and executing architectural strategies.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Developing and communicating architectural vision.
- Crafting solution vision, intent, and roadmaps.
- Skills for effective, continuous software delivery.
- Leadership and coaching in PI Planning and execution.
Extensive Coverage on SAFe® for Architects
1. The Role of System Architect in SAFe®
- Defining and Communicating Vision: System Architects are responsible for creating a shared technical vision within Agile Release Trains (ARTs).
- Key Collaborations: They work closely with Product Management, the Release Train Engineer (RTE), and Business Owners, aligning with the organization's strategic intent.
- Areas of Critical Interaction:
- Steer the ART: Guiding the train in collaboration with Product Management and RTE.
- Align Solution/Enterprise Architecture: Working with Enterprise Architects for organizational technology alignment. Align Solution/Enterprise Architecture: Working with Enterprise Architects for organizational technology alignment.
- Evolve System Architecture: Regular interaction with Agile Teams to ensure architectural consistency.
- Collaboration with System Teams: Establishing architectures and processes for system integration and testing.
2. Enterprise Architect's Responsibilities
- Establishing Technology Vision: Setting the portfolio's technology strategy and roadmap, including Cloud, Big Data, and AI technologies.
- Collaboration: Working with System and Solution Architects in guiding technical design.
- Strategic Role: Leading Enabler Epics through the Portfolio Kanban and fostering adaptive design and engineering practices.
3. Collaborative Dynamics Among Architecture Roles
- SAFe® defines three distinct architect roles: Enterprise, Solution, and System Architect.
- These roles collaborate to align architectural decisions with business needs and customer requirements.
- Enterprise Architects (EAs) play a pivotal role in aligning business and technology strategies, ensuring architectural decisions support the organization's goals.
4. Enterprise Architecture Strategy
- Key Elements:
- Technology choice and usage: Critical for strategy development and aligning with business objectives.
- Solution architecture strategy: Ensuring alignment of program and product strategies with the enterprise's overall goals.
- Infrastructure strategy: Overlapping with System Architect responsibilities, including configuration patterns and infrastructure planning.
- Inter-ART collaboration: Balancing standardization and innovation across different ARTs.
- Implementation strategy: Advocating for an active, incremental Agile implementation approach.
5. Responsibilities of Enterprise Architects
- Aligning Business and Technical Strategies: Understanding and aligning technological trends with business opportunities.
- Establishing Intentional Architecture: Guiding the development of architectural runway and technology direction.
- Rationalizing Technology Portfolio: Streamlining the application portfolio to improve efficiency and reduce complexity.
- Fostering Innovation: Supporting decentralized decision-making in architecture while maintaining solution integrity.
By offering a blend of theoretical knowledge and practical application, SAFe® for Architects certification prepares architects to effectively navigate and contribute to the complex architectural landscape of their organizations, leveraging SAFe® principles for maximum business value and agility.
The intended audience for the SAFe® for Architects training class primarily includes professionals currently holding or aspiring to roles such as System Architects, Enterprise Architects, and Solution Architects. This course is also highly beneficial for technical leaders and managers involved in architectural decision-making within organizations that are implementing or planning to implement SAFe® (Scaled Agile Framework) methodologies.
Additionally, it is suitable for Agile team members and coaches who seek a deeper understanding of the architectural aspects of SAFe®, enabling them to contribute more effectively to architectural discussions and decisions within their Agile Release Trains (ARTs).
The SAFe® for Architects training class covers a range of topics essential for understanding and applying architectural principles in a Scaled Agile Framework environment.
Key topics include:
- Architectural Roles and Responsibilities: Understanding the roles of System, Solution, and Enterprise Architects within the SAFe® framework.
- Aligning Architecture with Business Value: Techniques to ensure architectural decisions support business objectives and deliver value.
- Developing Architectural Vision and Roadmaps: Crafting clear architectural visions and roadmaps that guide Agile Release Trains (ARTs).
- Solution Vision and Intent: Formulating and communicating the vision and intent of solutions.
- Continuous Delivery Pipeline: Building and optimizing the pipeline for efficient and continuous delivery of software.
- Leading and Coaching in PI Planning: Effective leadership and coaching strategies during Program Increment (PI) planning and execution.
- Collaborative Delivery of Architectural Solutions: Techniques for System, Solution, and Enterprise Architects to collaborate in delivering architectural solutions.
- Remote and Distributed Team Dynamics: Strategies for working effectively in remote environments and with distributed teams.
- Architectural Governance and Decision-Making: Understanding the governance models and decision-making processes in a SAFe® environment.
- Incorporating Emerging Technologies: Integrating and staying abreast of emerging technologies within the architectural framework.
- Enabling Business Agility through Architecture: Strategies to enhance business agility through effective architectural practices.
Continuing education credits
Attendees may be eligible to apply for 24 PDUs toward their continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications